Google

Monday, February 11, 2008

Fisichella aims to be a force in F1

Giancarlo Fisichella insists he is ready for the challenge of leading Force India off the back of the F1 grid.

The 35-year-old left Renault at the end of last season after failing to secure a contract extension, with Force India subsequently signing Fisichella after he impressed during a test for the team.
The decision raised a few eyebrows in the paddock as some felt he should have quit F1 rather than join a backmarker team.

However, Fisichella reckons he'll prove his critics wrong this season.

"For sure the general opinion was that I should have quit Formula One. On the contrary I like challenges and I love the sport and I want to prove everyone wrong," he told the official F1 website.

"The management of Force India is very focused and they know what they want. The people out there do not understand it, so it is up to us to show them how things have changed."

When asked about rumours that Renault and BMW had both offered him the role of test driver, Fisichella confirmed that the teams had but "honestly that was never an option for me. I want to race."

Scoring points is also high on Fisichella's criteria for the season and he reckons that Force India have the ability to finish grands prix in the top eight.

"I am looking for points - as many as I can get. Then we will work together with the technical people to gradually improve the car and I want to be their guiding force," he added.

"As for real improvement, I would realistically say that the second part of the season is when I expect that we will catch up. Watch us then."

No comments: