Google

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Hamilton no podium

Although today's European Grand Prix put an end to Lewis Hamilton's historic run of podiums - nine - for a rookie, the young Brit is reasonably upbeat that he learnt something from today's eventful race. However, the McLaren driver is frustrated that for all his efforts he was not able to pick up any points in the title battle and he will ultimately be disappointed to see his 12 point cushion to Fernando Alonso be reduced to just two.

Lewis Hamilton said: "This was an extraordinary weekend and a new experience for me. Initially I made a good start and was sixth. I got into fourth when the two BMWs went off, and I picked up a puncture and had to pit.

"The team took advantage of this and fitted rain tyres, but it just got too slippery and I went off. I managed to keep the engine running, and a crane was able to get me free so thank you to the Nurburgring Marshalls. The race was then red flagged. After the restart I pushed as much as I could to catch up, but when you are almost a lap down you really have to rely on other people's misfortune. I was able to get ninth in the end after passing a Renault on the last lap, but no points."

No comments: