Google

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Fernando Alonso says


Fernando Alonso says he never expected to be in such a competitive position in the championship in his first season with McLaren Mercedes. The Spaniard is in a determined mood this weekend at Magny Cours as he bids to cut the ten-point gap to team mate Lewis Hamilton.


"Well, I think that in a way it has been a surprise, a good surprise how quick the car was," Alonso said. "I moved teams, I left Renault last year and I was not so sure about what the McLarens would be like at the beginning of the season. I found a very good car straight away and I was able to win two races in the first seven races of the championship and I'm second in the Drivers' championship and leading the Constructors', so it has been a very very positive first half of the season but for sure, I would like to be first, leading both championships and for that, I need to be a little bit quicker than in the first seven races."


"I always enjoy driving here at Magny Cours, also because I have been driving for Renault here, which is a very important race for the Renault team and we are in France and I had a lot of fans, a lot of support here," he added. "This year will maybe be a little bit different because the grandstand will not be with McLaren so much as they were with Renault but as I said, I love the circuit and it should be a good weekend."

No comments: