Google

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Kovalainen hopes to stick with Renault

Heikki Kovalainen is in his first year in Formula 1. The Finn faced a difficult start of his career with an uncompetitive Renault F1 car, but halfway into the season he found the pace and is now scoring points on a regular basis. Kovalainen's contract ends at the end of the season, but he hopes the team will extend his contract with another year.


Kovalainen did well in Sunday's Turkish Grand Prix. He scored three points for the team, which moved him ahead of teammate Giancarlo Fisichella in the championship standings. "We all have our sights set high and experiencing a weekend at the sharp end was brilliant," said Kovalainen about his race weekend. "There is no doubt that Renault are one of the strongest teams in the championship and I am sure we will be back next year. The car will definitely be competitive again and I would love to be part of it," he furthermore said in his BBC column. "The team are due to make a decision about my future around the Monza weekend in September. I've seen the rumours linking Alonso with a move back here, but I have not talked with anyone about that. I just know that this team will be up there again next year and I think we could achieve good things together so I will wait for their decision."

No comments: